Originally founded in Liverpool, the firm of Chalmers Wade & Co acquired the Yeovil practice of Fletcher & Bradford in 1922.
One of the firms’ most notable former partners was Anthony Wingham Chalmers (1847 – 1900) who as president of the Liverpool Society of Accountants in 1880 was a petitioner to Queen Victoria for the Royal Charter which led to the formation of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales. Mr Chalmers subsequently became one of the original representatives on the ICAEW Council.
The Crewkerne office opened in 1963 following the acquisition of a small accountancy practice from local estate agents, TRG Lawrence & Sons.
More recently, the West Country offices of Chalmers Impey & Co left the national firm in 1976 to practice independently as Chalmers & Co. Of these the Yeovil and Crewkerne offices continue to practice under the Chalmers & Co name to provide independent local services to a wide range of clients.
In October 2012 a Langport office was added following the firm’s merger with Jean Davenport Accountants.